Sundays are the best day. Today was extra spectacular because of the falling back. I was looking forward to that extra hour of sleep. Little miss Miley on the other hand, had other plans. She didn’t realize the silly human rule about falling back an hour. So we were up at our usual 5 am time, except today it was 6. My first scheduled plans were a long run at 8:30.
What to do with those 2.5 hours?
Take Miley for a long walk.
Drink some coffee.
Recently I’ve been working on eliminating sugars from my diet but I like to save Sundays for a special treat. And if there’s time, I like for it to be homemade. I’ve also recently been playing with a paleo/high fat approach to eating and wanted to try a recipe from that framework.
Here’s what I did with my extra hour this morning.
Almost Paleo Pumpkin Bread
Sweet Sunday’s Almost Paleo Chocolate Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
could easily be made fully paleo by removing the mix-ins. But no sense in jumpin’ right in – best to ease into these experiments!
adapted from this recipe on The Fit Fork.
- 2/3 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup coconut oil, room temp
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray or coat with coconut oil.
1. In a large bowl, mix together egg whites, pumpkin and vanilla. If the egg whites are cold, let them warm to room temperature.
2. Heat coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds to liquify. Add to mixing bowl.
3. Stirring quickly to mix, add spices and seasonings (including baking soda) and flours.
4. Fold in chocolate chips and dried cranberries (and other mix-ins of your choice – nuts would be great!).
5. Pour into loaf pan and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
Hint: If you ask your roommate to remove the pan while you’re out on your long run, delicious pumpkin bread will be waiting for you when you return!
Hope you all had a wonderful Sunday too! Just three weeks to Tulsa 🙂